Looking at the good things

So, now that it's nearing the holidays, it takes a lot to stay positive about missing the third Christmas in a row with my family. Now, I am not complaining, as I have my beautiful children with me and they are able to celebrate Christmas with their mommy and not in an orphanage, and I realize how special that is and what a blessing it is to even have a family, my children and amazing friends. Even though I know all of this with my brain, sometimes my heart and emotions don't follow. I am thrilled to be with my kids, but not so thrilled with all of the struggles that come along with living here in Haiti and waiting out this process. I often feel lonely, even with 2 kids pulling on me, and I feel sad. I feel sad about lots of things, and sometimes I can't even tell you why I feel sad. I am frustrated with the struggles of daily life here in Haiti. It's hard. Haiti is a difficult place to be. I sometimes wonder why I gave up all of the "easiness" of the States, but all it takes to ground me is to look at the faces of my amazing children and I remember!

Anyway, all that to lead into the above pic!!!! LOL!!! I am focusing on the positives--We have often talked about the things that are easier in Haiti. While we are frustrated with life in this country, we list the things that are easier here than in the States. Usually I think of things like, 1. Easier to get Malaria 2. Easier to get sick 3. Easier to sweat so much you are dehydrated 4. Easier to find holes in the roads, you know, normal Haiti things!! So, then we usually stop ourselves and say, "the good things" OH yes, the good things. HMMMMMMM.................


OK, it's easier to buy medicines, as you don't need a prescription, you just walk into the little pharmacy and tell them what you want. It's easier to get a suntan and as in this picture above, it's easier to buy a coke while driving down the street. Yep, I am buying a bottle of coke while I drive down the road without even coming to a complete stop, let alone getting off of the street! So, I have decided that this is better than a drive through in the states! Delma, the main street in Port au Prince, as well as other somewhat major throughways, have these men that walk up and down the middle of the street and have cold drinks to sell. (We won't mention that they are often in the way and slow down the traffic a bit, and rarely have the correct change--we are being positive here!) They come right up to your window and hand you a coke and you hand them 4 Haitian Dollars. There are also people selling fried plantains, phone cards, car cell phone chargers, and other random things. Sometimes, depending where you are, the merchants that are selling banana's, pineapple, avocado, etc, will bring the fruit right to your car too. "Haitian Drive through!" sure is better than American drive through. I don't have to stop my car, get off the street or anything!!!!! I am smiling, because I can think of a few things that are easier in Haiti than in the States.

Now, don't go emailing me all the things that are easier in the States! I like my moment of joy!!!! LOL!!!! Please keep all of the foreigners that are in Haiti, serving the people of Haiti in your prayers this Christmas season. It's hard for us to not have our extended families with us and we constantly deal with the daily struggles of living in a third world country. Even though we have other blessings, we still are "alone" without the rest of our families during this very family oriented season. Thanks in advance for your prayers.

Comments

Okay me too! Me too!
1. It's easier to find children who really need Cheri Kay's help and for her to change their lives in huge ways.
2. It's easier to find yummy Haitian Coke in the bottle.
3. It's easier to drive from one coast of your country to the other.
4. It's easier to be the only white person in the room.
5. It's easier to learn and retain Creole and to teach it to your children.
6. It's easier to find enormous spiders!
7. It's easier to find and go to an extraordinarily beautiful waterfall.
8. It's easier to get super fresh delicious amazing bananas, avacados, pineapple, etc.
9. Number 8 again, because that stuff is good enough to take up two numbers.
10. It's cheaper to take the bus/tap tap.
11. It's easier to meet BelO (my favorite singer.)
12. It's easier to meet T-Vice.

Now some things that are HARDER than in LA:
1. It's harder to find someone who has had their entire face and body reconstructed through plastic surgery.
2. It's harder to find people wearing UGGs with a mini skirt and tank top.
3. It's harder to see puke-invokingly enormous expenditures on things such as 50 ft. Christmas trees.
4. It's harder to get run over by a British poparazzi who is on the chase.
5. It's harder to find someone who transports their rat dog in a stroller.

Hang in there, CK!
Liles Family said…
It is easier in Haiti:
1.to get whistled at by a man....or 100 men all in one day! (not that it is flattering)
2. to find a restroom....if you are Haitian and outdoors
3. to hire a house helper (aka maid...well at least cheaper)
4. to see a movie at a theater in French!
5. to teach your children to be thankful for the basics in life
6. get a cell phone (no contracts or credit checks)
7. Find a pay phone (they walk up to you)
8. find affordable delicious fresh fruit
9. take a bus (tap-tap) because they run every 15 seconds

Hang in there lady, and keep your head up. You can do this!!!
Jessica said…
it's certainly easier to get proposed to in Haiti ;) lol. i think i will need to buy some papita on the way home from the airport next week...

Popular posts from this blog

H E A L T H

Overwhelmed with gratitude!

Processing adoption!