Activity Table

A while ago, I told you about a young boy by the name of Benjamin. He has CP and is very limited in his movements. I have been working with him now for about 8 months and he has made some nice progress. He is sitting by himself much better and is reaching for toys with his right hand much more often. It is fun to see some progress. Well, last week I had an idea. I decided that since he is often placed in his wheelchair with nothing to do but watch TV or stare at the wall, I wanted to change that! So, I asked his care taker if she had a table that she didn't mind me altering for Benjamin. She said sure and she gave me the family card table.


I then began gathering toys around the house and books and such that my kids didn't use anymore, some donated toys and materials and I bought some really good glue (contact cement). Then, visitor and I got to work. We put together an activity table with books, sensory patches, and toys tied to strings so they wouldn't get thrown off of the table. Each side of the table is set up as it's own play station with a book, some sensory patch, and a tied toy. The numbers and alphabet are glued around the table in all sorts of different colors and there are stickers all over to enhance the visual effects for him as well. When we were done we were so excited to share it with this little guy.


The next day we had the opportunity. We went to his house, with the table and gave it to him! He was so excited and began playing immediately. His face glowed and he had a huge smile on his face! He was reaching with both hands and grabbing for the toys and banging on the table. This gave me such joy! This is what I am here for. To make the lives of children better, one child at a time!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

H E A L T H

Overwhelmed with gratitude!

Processing adoption!