1 year ago today........

.......started out like most days in Haiti for me.  The kids went to school, I went to the clinic (which I miss so very much) and hadn't heard anything on the adoption for months.  My brain often calculated how I could raise enough money to support myself and the kids in Haiti, as it seemed that we'd be stuck in MOI for-ev-er!!!! We had already been waiting 20 months for this ONE signature. 

Then, late in the afternoon, I got the call!  THE CALL!!!!! THE Call that I had been waiting and praying and crying for!  For 20 months, I'd waited, and finally we got it!!!! I'll never forget hearing Dixie's voice on the other end of my phone saying "We got the signature!!!".  I was BLOWN away.  My body shook, my heart raced, tears ran out of my eyes, my face was smiling, my knees were weak!!!!  I was so happy!!!!!

This day was truly the beginning of the end of my 4.5 year wait to bring my Haitian Angels home to the US.  Now today, I sit here, remembering.  I remember my time in Haiti.  I remember all that we experienced.  I'm so grateful!  I know that most of what I did know of Haiti is mostly rubble on the side of the street.  The places that were once so familiar are now destroyed and resemble nothing but a pile of cement.  My heart is breaking.  Please don't get me wrong, I'm so thrilled that my kids are here in the States, that we are safe, that they are growing, learning and did not have to witness that tragedy.  But.....my heart is breaking for the country that I called home for nearly 3 years.  The people that I learned to understand and eventually communicate with.  The culture that I began to understand, if only the little that I could.  The beauty.  The smells.  The idiosyncrisies of Haiti.  I miss it.  But today, I mourn it.  I know so much is lost.  So many lives.  So many families.  So much dispair. 

I will always love Haiti and I can't wait to go there again, hopefully to help bring some healing to at least one person, hopefully more!  I know that God has us here in the States.  I remind myself each day that if He had wanted me there during a disaster such as this, I surely would have been there.  He would have made sure of that.  But what He did, was made sure we were here.  This is where I need to let Him lead me.  I'm trying to do that each day. 

As these next few weeks pass, and I am reminded of our final weeks of our journey to America, I will rejoice in all that the Lord did, does and will do in all of our lives. 





Comments

Manda said…
Oh CK. I just ...
what can I say? I am glad you are here safely with the kids. But my heart is broken for the people of Haiti. For those children. I just bawled my eyes out over it all tonight. Those precious children.

Popular posts from this blog

H E A L T H

Overwhelmed with gratitude!

Processing adoption!