Thinking...........


So, this telephone pole is on the road near my house here in Port au Prince. I don't know how long it's been like that, but, it's standing (sorta), holding up the wires (sorta), and basically functioning on a daily basis. This telephone pole to me is representative of Haiti. Haiti, is broken. But, still seems to be functioning (sorta). When I look at this pole, only questions come to my mind...
*How long has it been like this?
*How long can it last like this?
*Is is safe?
*Is it effective?
*When is it too broken to work at all?
*Can it be fixed?
*If so, how?
*If it can't be fixed, will they replace it?
*How do you go about doing that without affecting the people that it is supposed to be serving?
I know that this is kinda a weird comparison, but I think of Haiti and it's issues everyday when I drive past this pole. I feel like these questions can be asked of Haiti too. I realize that I am not an employee of the electric company so I can do nothing to fix that pole. Then I wonder, if I can't fix a telephone pole, how am I supposed to be a part of any fix in this country??? Can I be a part of a fix???? Is there a fix????? This country seems to be going along day by day, like this telephone pole, broken. Seemingly serving the people, but maybe not.
When I see this pole, I only have questions and no obvious answer comes to my mind (good thing I am not in politics!!! LOL). This makes me realize that I need to pray for Haiti everyday. The only thing that can "fix" this country is a miracle from the ONE who created it. I am grateful that He loves this place and I am more grateful that He only wants me to do the small part that He has set aside for me to do. I don't have to "fix" Haiti alone. I don't even have to face Haiti alone. I need to pray for Haiti.
Dear Heavenly Father,
I put the country of Haiti into your hands. Father, I
pray for the government officials, I pray that their hearts will be convicted by
you to serve the people of their country. I pray that dishonesty and
corruption will no longer be the foundation of this country and it's
leaders. Father, I pray for the orphans, the widows, and all those who
have suffered so much at the hands of a "broken" government. Thank you
for loving this country, thank you for it's people, it's history, and it's
culture. Father, I pray that today, you will show me, the one thing
that I need to do to help this country and it's people. In your name I
pray--Amen

Comments

Big Al, the gal said…
CK, this is a beautiful and profound post.
Jaime said…
Wow, what a great post. I respect deeply what you are doing for those in Haiti. I was a PT here in the States before having kids. We are now adopting 2 from Haiti and just visited a couple of weeks ago. It's so easy to feel very small in that country, like you can't make a difference. But, one life at a can, we can make a difference. And, with all of our prayers, God can move mountains!
Jaime said…
My fingers typed too fast, I meant to say, "One life at a time, we can make a difference." You are making a huge impact on the lives you are touching. I'm glad Al led me to your blog. I'll be praying for you.
Liles Family said…
I hear what you are saying, and I am also, so often, burdened by what can possibly be done to "fix" Haiti. You are right. Only God alone can do it. We are praying along side you. Thanks for allowing God to use you.

Popular posts from this blog

H E A L T H

Overwhelmed with gratitude!

Processing adoption!